Monday 21 May 2012

It's Dangerous to go Alone

Storytelling has always been at the forefront of my mind since I was a child. I have read plenty, wrote plenty, but also played countless hours of Campbellian narratives within the RPG genre via several of the first-generation consoles.

I have always wanted to be a writer and have been training as such for the past nine years in post-secondary institutions (eight years of which I spent at the University of Winnipeg in the English and Film departments, the most recent year spent in York University's MFA program).

As I got to know Chris Alton through York University's Graduate Film program and discovered that he held the same passion for interactive media that I did, I knew I had found a partner to critically explore a medium I have always been extrememly fond of but handled with kid gloves. 

Over the next few months, Chris and I will be reading several articles and books which will increase our analytical ability concerning the medium of video games. Also, in an attempt to make practical use of our findings we will attempt to create our own game.

My writing for the most part has consisted of a few feature length screenplays, some short fiction, and several short scripts (one of which was a featured on CBC's Short Film Faceoff). Despite having little experience with writing for video games, my goal is to obtain a strong foundation of structure, that will help me in the upcoming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment